Live.Laugh.Denver.’s Internet Security Tips and Tricks
Nothing can halt a productive day quicker than finding out your email has been hacked. Although it takes a little bit of time and effort, there are ways to greatly decrease the chances of getting hacked and save yourself mountains of time and stress in the future. Outlined below are some great tools and tricks we’ve picked up to keep your information safe and secure.
- Find a password management system you like.
- There is a password management system to fit all your needs. Our favorite is LastPass , because it allows you to securely share passwords and can store all sorts of different types of information (via “secure notes”). It also plugs in with your web browser to autofill passwords (if you want), generates passwords for you, and easily syncs across multiple devices. For more info on LastPass and other password management systems, check out this article from Lifehacker.
- Consider adding multi factor authentication (MFA) to your accounts
- MFA is a method of securing items with more than one identifying factor. For example, securing your email with both a password and an auto generated code that is sent to your phone (or Google Authenticator app).
- MFA is especially useful to set up on items that have sensitive personal data i.e. your Google account and bank login because even if a hacker gets access to your password, they would have to physically have access to the second authentication factor (your phone and/or Google Authenticator app) to gain access to your account.
- There are many website that already support MFA, check them out here.
- Have a google account and want to get MFA set up now? Click Here.
- If you do nothing else, change your passwords to 12+ letters/numbers/characters
- According to this article from CNN it takes about 2 hours to crack an 8 character password and around 17,000 years to crack a 12 character password.
- Consider coming up with a passphrase that is easy for you to remember. For example, “Live.Laugh.Denver. agents are the best!” turns into L!v3.Lf.D3nv3r.8g3ntsRth3b3st!
- Sign up for an account at haveibeenpwned.com
- This website scans data dumps from hacked sites for your email address. If it finds your email address it will notify you that your info has been compromised and notify you so you can change your password.
Hopefully these tips and tricks will help keep your data safe and secure. If we missed a favorite tip or trick of yours, please let us know and we will add it to our list!