Neighborhood Spotlight: Platt Park
A Brief History
Platt Park was originally located in the City of South Denver. Created to be a “dry” city, this alcohol free area was home to James Fleming who served as the first and only Mayor of South Denver. The Fleming mansion, built in 1882 at Grant and Florida Street, has served as the City Hall of South Denver, a jail, a library, a clubhouse, and a recreation center. Today it still stands and can be rented for meetings and events. The City of South Denver was short lived and annexed to Denver after the economic collapse of 1893. The original grove behind the Fleming mansion became Platt Park, named after James Platt, a politically active Denver citizen who drowned near Georgetown in 1894. Sara Platt Decker, a long-time suffragette and James Platt’s widow, married Judge Westbrook Decker in 1899 and was instrumental in prompting the men of Colorado to be the first to offer women the vote. With the goal of becoming the first woman elected to Congress, she was the founding member of the Woman’s Club of Denver, which allowed her to serve on many governmental boards. Unfortunately, she was unable to achieve her dream when she suddenly became ill on a trip to California and died in 1912. The library in the Platt Park neighborhood is named in her honor.
With the popular restaurant and retail street, affectionately called “Old South Pearl”, running straight through and it’s small town neighborhood feel, Platt Park is a very sought after neighborhood. Homes in Platt Park range in size and style from brand new modern builds to classic tudors and Denver foursquares. Between the farmer’s markets, special events, and places to eat out, this neighborhood is never short on things to do